Connect Open-E DSS V7 to a NIS Server
Got 12 minutes to spare? You can tune in to our new webcast and explore a few facts about NIS as an authentication method for NAS, available to use within Open-E DSS V7.
NIS (Network Information Service) maintains and distributes a central directory of user and group information, hostnames etc. within a computer network. In practice, it can provide authentication data to outside processes in order to identify users.
In Open-DSS V7, we can connect to NIS server and import users and groups database. We can then use it for restricting access to our NAS shares accessed over SMB, NFS or other available file protocols.
The webcast covers the following topics:
- What is NIS server?
- How to verify the NIS server is running.
- How to create users on NIS server.
- Creating a NAS share.
- Switching to NIS authentication in Open-E DSS V7.
- Manage share’s access settings.
- Enable NFS access.
If you haven’t tried our software yet, you can download a free 60 day trial from our website now!
Leave a comment
DATA STORAGE SOFTWARE
- Support for NAS, iSCSI, FibreChannel
- High-Availability over 2 nodes
- Reasonable pricing
- New Feature Pack: Open-E Data Storage Software V7 with Avago Syncro® Solution
- Open-E DSS V7 Active-Active HA-Cluster with VMware ESXi 5.5
- TAROX Inside 2014: we were there!
- Introducing: Open-E JovianDSS – Software Defined Data Storage
- Supermicro security update for IPMI / BMC firmware. Update now and be safe!