How to access your NAS share on an Android device
Modern smartphones, having a computing power of desktops PCs from mid 2000s, are much more than just phones. Together with their younger siblings – tablets – they essentially became Personal Computers to the degree old-fashioned desktops and laptops were never even close.
Although accessing emails from your phone is common now, accessing your company servers and data is a completely different story and it’s still relatively rare. With Open-E DSS V7 and any Android phone or tablet you can easily and securely access all data on your NAS shares over SMB protocol.
You will need the following to carry on with our instruction:
- Open-E DSS V7 with a NAS share created
- Android device with a file manager supporting SMB protocol. We use Total Commander in our example but there are other suitable as well: ES File Explorer or Astro File Manager
- Access to relevant LAN network configured on your Android device
Configuring your Android device
Installing mobile application and plugins
Firstly, we will need to install a File Manager (Total Commander) together with a necessary plugin.
- In your device, download and install the Total Commander application.
In case of Total Commander we will need an additional plugin to be able to access shares over SMB protocol. To install it, go to Add plugins (download)…:
- Download and install the LAN (Windows network) Plugin (second option):
Connecting to your NAS share
Once installed, you can configure access to a new server in your mobile device.
- Tap the LAN (Windows shares) option:
- Tap <New server> to add your NAS server details:
- Select a name for New server connection:
- Provide the name of your server (or IP) followed by the name of a relevant share.
If your NAS share requires password authentication (see SMB settings of your DSS) you will need to provide it here:
- If anyone can access your NAS share (Guest option), leave the User name and Password fields blank.
- You should then be able to access the content of your NAS share.
Try Open-E DSS V7 for free and download your 60 day Trial version now!
1 Comment + Add Comment
Leave a comment
DATA STORAGE SOFTWARE
- Support for NAS, iSCSI, FibreChannel
- High-Availability over 2 nodes
- Reasonable pricing